Saturday, May 28, 2005

Tats

Let me preface this entry by saying tattoos with deep personal meaning are fine as long as you are up to explaining it to me. I guess my problem is, as always, with conformity for conformity's sake.

My official view on tattoos is not a positive one. Maybe it's the permanancy, maybe it's the first impression I got as a child from dirty-sticky-fat carnival workers, maybe it's that more and more kids get them these days, not sure. But I know there's not many girls left under 25 that don't have a lower back tattoo (or flaming butt wings as I like to call them) to accent their thong sticking out of their low-rise jeans. I weep for the future generation that follows the hurd.

Most people I see with tattoos encourage my view that tattoos have become a symbol of conformity and fitting in to a certain crowd rather than standing out from it.

I think if you respect your body and yourself, you don't want something that permanent. It's like putting a bumpersticker on a Ferrari.

I realize some people want to display their personal life or something with deep ersonal meaning on their body (remember a dead family member, remind them of their roots excluding "tribal" banding, that's just ridiculous). That all makes sense and I can respect that. But butterflies, barbwire, dolphins?

To reiterate the above, if you're going to do it, go all out - do it big with lots of detail. If you want something that you can cover up, don't bother. You are a sheep and a flake.

"You don't have to have tattoos, piercings, etc. to be a punk" -Mike Ness

3 Comments:

Blogger Dustin Luther said...

As always, your commentary is always a fun read...

However, what's wrong with a little something you can cover up if it makes you feel good about yourself? Some of us conformists would like to think we have a rebellious side that only certain people have access to (i.e. not our work associates!). Maybe having a tattoo under their business clothes (as oppose to on their knuckles) makes them feel a little better about themselves. What's wrong with that? Why is it wrong if it is a not a "public" thing? What's wrong with a little secret?

11:57 AM  
Blogger superjay said...

You have a butterfly on your ass, don't you. Pics?

LIke I said, something of deep personal meaning is quite alright by me. In my single days when a chick tells me she has a tattoo, but it's not visible it becomes my quest for the evening. It's like a trophy.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Dustin Luther said...

What's wrong with a butterfly on the ass if it's special? :)

Yeah... You saved yourself with that first line. I hadn't reread your post... none-the-less, I doubt you'll ever find out what type of tattoo I have!

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home