Friday, May 05, 2006

it's a living document

Whenever I explain to people what I do (only when they ask), their eyes sort of glaze over and we're off the topic in a minute or two. I can't tell if it's because it's truely boring to them, or they don't get it or what. If they're truely interested they ALWAYS follow with, "oh yeah there's this traffic light by my house that needs fixing..." Right, I know, I'll get right on it. If it's a girl that seems interested and asks more questions, I know she's flirting with me because she couldn't possibly be interested in my work. Just trying to get in my pants. Gauw, I'm not a piece of meat! ok maybe a little.

The fact that “socialite” is even a word bothers me.

Last week, I bought a bottle of water and a danish at the Dallas airport. When the cashier rung me up for $2.76, I asked, “Oh, did you get the water too?” The cashier laughed unusually hard then said, “Of course – that’d be a pretty expensive danish, wouldn’t it?” I actually had to think about it for a few moments before realizing that, no, I had no fucking clue if that’s an expensive danish or not.

Ever say goodbye to everyone after a long night and then get halfway down the block only to realize you forgot something, like your jacket? You always have to go back, acknowledge the weird looks everybody’s giving you, respond to irritating little gibes like “Hey! Back already?” then reclaim your jacket and hoist it skyward while doing a half lap around to demonstrate to the gathering crowd that all is well and you’ve simply returned to retrieve the North Face you now wish you’d never purchased.

Guys at the gym wearing bandanas intimidate me.

Ultimate people are some of the most creative drinkers I’ve met. In addition to the drinking-a-disc exercise, they’ve invented a solitaire style drinking game. It’s like flip cup, but instead of having 2 teams, you play your right hand versus your left hand. Awesome.

1 Comments:

Blogger danielle said...

i never really thought about the going rates for baked goods before...but i do know that at an airport i wouldn't be shocked if i had to pay $5 for a bagel.

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home